Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Taking Fanciful Flight with Round Robin Press

Two beautiful ladies embarking on beautiful adventures deserve fanciful tokens of love and appreciation. And no one I know does fanciful, love OR appreciation better than sweet Shannon at Round Robin Press. Shannon and I go way, way, way ... a whole FANCIFUL number of "ways" ... back. Back to Yaz. And Luv-It jeans. And perms and Bernardo flip flops in, you guessed it, FANCIFUL colors. (That is such a good word. Seems a shame not to use it. A lot.) Way back to her cool Honda Prelude and neighborhood playtime and Christmas-morning-sharing-of-the-piles-of-loot. To fingernail polish and sleepovers. To gymnastics in the front yard. Walks around the block and grosgrain ribbon thru the belt loops.

We now share a hometown. She is a brilliant artist, author and illustrator. And I just DIG her fanciful creations. Dooce loves her. You will too.

Beautiful, Deserving Lady Number One. Sweet Andi.

Fanciful photo by Matt Lucas 6/09

My niece, high-school graduate and owl collector. She shoulda never told her aunt that she collects owls. Because those words send me on a mission every time. A mission to find owls. Or anything else hard to find. "Cool Boots, I can't seem to find OPI nail polish in the 'Bubble Bath' shade." Here. YOU!! HERE!! I found the last 16 bottles in the WORLD online. They were 18.95 a pop. Oh, ain't nothin'. Really. Happy polishing!" MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! "Oh, you collect donkeys who dispense cigarettes?? Lemme find you all the smoking donkeys I can cuz I heard Ellen talking about those one day and if you AND Ellen love 'em then each smoking donkey I find in an antique store or truck stop or online BOOTEEK means I've SCORED, SCORED, SCORED!!" Antique cheese graters? CHECK! Peppermint-flavored Mentos? CHECK!! Jalapeno MUSTARD?? YES MA'AM!! I find quite a lot of self-fulfillment in "missions." In THIS case of love and adoration, OWLS were my mission.

I've been told owls are lucky. I found Owl RIBBON. How lucky is THAT?

In which to wrap, "Owly." He is Shannon's creation. And he looks to me to be bigger and better and wiser than any in his brood. But, smiling down on them with a protective look ... a slight look of regret. To say, "I'm sorry to be leaving you. But you'll be fine my friends. I've gotta fly. Here I go. Be strong little birds." And then he might offer a double-pound-fist-to-feathered-chest pump thing. If only he had fists.

She is SO ready to go. Look at that sweet grin. College. A whole, new, cool adventure. There's a whole brood rooting for you, Sweet Girl. You've got your cool quirks and big brain and loving heart and you are on your way. So, if owls indeed bring luck, then ALL the luck to you. We all need a little. So, Owly should bring you LOTS.

This perky bird flew to Andi by way of a quirky antique shop in Johnson City. I was post-bike-ride, bleary-eyed and road dust crusted, but I thought him darling. If I'm not mistaken, Lizzie Lou deemed him rather ugly. Not in so many words. But ugly. (She was tired too.) He's CHARMING, no? Wooden and peaceful. Another piece of the owl mission fulfilled. (And you shoulda seen the larger than life owl resting alongside this charmer. FULL-FEATHERED and ALARMING. Alert, almost. Atop a METAL STAKE. He's still resting atop his stake in the Johnson City antique shop. As far as I know. He did NOT fly home w/ me!)

Beautiful, Deserving Lady Number Two. St. Louise House's Erin.

Alongside a staff w/ hearts and minds and ideas bigger than any you'll ever find, she worked tirelessly, spiritually and selflessly for a vulnerable, deserving population ... homeless mothers and their children. Her journey now turns toward California. So we celebrated. And Shannon's lime green bird with touches of brown were the reason lime green with touches of brown sprouted all over the invitations and the gifts and the table coverings ...

We didn't name these birds. But we shoulda. This is a "cake." An original. Touches of color and fanciful whimsy solely for Erin. You can get a cake, too. Just not this one. It's MINE!! Well ... Erin's.

Almost 100 families now have sought comfort and shelter under St. Louise House's protective wing. Coming from multi-colored backgrounds of circumstance and appearance, they all look different, but they're all looking for "home." For making homes for so many, we wish Erin a safe flight and a happy home.

Thank you, Shannon, for your talent and your heart.

FANCIFUL!!
You knew I had to have the last word.

No comments: