You know what I mean? When Goldilocks found that perfect bed that was just her size with her exact Sleep Number and everything? And you remember how Baby Bear exclaimed, "And she's STILL THERE," after calmly pointing out all the obvious signs of her breaking and entering? I mean, she ate their FOOD! Those bears really should lock their doors.
Well, The Short One is STILL THERE this evening in his little The-Short-One-Sized-Bed after an evidently exhausting day of green cupcakes and Valentine's Day prep at school. And I was very recently curled up right there beside him. The effects of my first-ever manicure on my natural nails soooo verrrry draining. This life I lead. It'll kill ya.
Drug myself up and out of my afternoon nap spot to throw together a meat-free "fast" for dinner. It's Ash Wednesday and since I have dirt/printer ink/mud/"What's THAT on your head, Mommy?" on my forehead, I really should try to make something meaningful and sacrificial for dinner. (I forgot to be meaningful and sacrificial until about 11 a.m. after I'd scarfed the leftovers of a pan of brownies and soggy King Cake at a meeting ... where a group of Catholic friends likely watched me in sure disbelief and held their sacrificial tongues. I also drank about 6 cups of coffee. And now I'm drinking wine. I DO SO SACRIFICE ... sometimes.) So, it's a pasta salad w/ stir-fry veggies w/ only a hint of freezer burn, cheese and ... that's it. Better than bread and water. Or not. Rather cool to be in church today, midday. I don't ever see that particular community of people on Sunday at 10:30. I felt very adult.
It was an Ash Wednesday when The Big One was three that a water bottle leaked in our toy and book bag and ruined his daddy's Palm Pilot. Oh, and that's when The Big One pronounced the priest "The Big Chuch Guy." A moniker we use still today.
My strip-mall manicure was 20 minutes of me worrying about whether he was using clean scissor. Clean brush. Clean file. And I did say HE. That creeped me out just a bit. A HE with lotion and a nail brush. Seemed a bit intimate. I've never had a manicure on my natural nails. I've only had the fake ones applied for special things like proms and weddings. And then battled nail fungus for months post.
This was fine. My cuticles aren't shaggy anymore. I feel very clipped and clean and shiny. And completely unable to wash a single pot or pan.
(And all his "instrument" were in sealed pouches. Don't worry, Mom.)
Kudos to The Big One for sweetly letting me sleep this afternoon. And sweetly doing his homework w/o being told and w/o help, i.e. me sitting and prodding and tapping my watch.
Hope your day has been clipped and clean. And just right.
No comments:
Post a Comment