There's always just a moment when I worry that I've gotten my days confused.
Those out-of-the-ordinary days at school when we're to dress our children in "Sunday clothes," or in "a funny hat," or in "school colors," or "like Dr. Seuss." If my oldest child was to walk in the door of the school in Dr. Seuss stripes on the WRONG day, he would most surely turn into a puddle of red and white in the hallway floor.
And he gets this from his mother.
Today, his class is going to the ballet. He's not thrilled about seeing the ballet. He's excited to ride on the bus. But, he's NOT happy to be dressed up.
We didn't go crazy this morning putting on his dressiest clothes -- mainly because I didn't want them to end up w/ playground stains by the end of the day. So, casual khakis, a long-sleeved collared shirt and his cleanest athletic shoes, and he looked handsome and well-brushed. But, not DRESSY!
We walk to school every morning, rain or shine. This morning he wanted to drive to school.
"I can't walk to school looking like THIS!" he said.
We didn't see many classmates in the front hallway looking "dressy" for the ballet. He began to look for a corner in which to hide. I started trying to visualize my calendar. Did it say "ballet" today?
"Mommy, are you sure today's the day?"
I was pretty sure.
I tried to explain it could've been worse. He could've been asked to wear a tie ... or a monogrammed sweater w/ turtleneck ... or a TOP HAT!
Further down the hall we spy some girls looking dressy -- shiny dresses, lace trims, hair in bows.
And a boy in a tie.
Thank goodness. Today's the ballet day.
Flash back 15 or so years. I've arrived on campus for freshman orientation. I just want to blend. Please don't look at me. I want to look like I know what I'm doing. I DON'T need anyone's help. Except ...
I ask my mom to carry my BIG suitcase, because freshmen who want to blend certainly don't have BIG suitcases.
So, she hefts it out of the trunk and starts up the stairs to the dorm, struggling a bit. I do my best to blend.
Thru clenched teeth, I plead, "Don't act like it's heavy!"
Because someone might LOOK at us.
And that would surely be as bad as being dressed up for the ballet.
I should try harder to stand out. Maybe a Dr. Seuss hat?