I should say "hand warming."
It's been cold lately. Bone-chilling cold. Not cold by Edmonton, Canada standards (where they wash their cars in a closed -- and heated -- garage), but cold for those of us in OUR house. And I don't seem to be able to stay warm -- and that makes in hard to get out of bed in the morning.
It seems many of the street-corner homeless people that I see are usually fairly bundled and as warm as one can be on the corner of a windy overpass.
But, lately, I've "met" a couple of guys w/ no gloves. Just cold hands clutching cardboard.
Just as I would "mommy-like" tell my boys to "Button up, it's cold outside." OR, "Yes, YOU DO TOO need a hat!!", I mumble that the men should be wearing their gloves if they're going to be outside on a cold day.
"Where. Are. Your. Gloves!?" I ask them thru the windshield to myself.
This afternoon as I'm wolfing down a Chick-Fil-A Meal #1 at an intersection, I see the guy's sign, "Cold. Wet. Hungry." His poncho/windbreaker thingy was a sorry excuse for a jacket. At least it was zipped. Cold hands. Cold hands pulled up into the sleeves of the plastic jacket.
Woo hoo! Is is wrong to see a "Cold. Wet. Hungry." man and be excited? I had gloves to give -- bargain basement ski gloves were in my car for just this occasion.
Wildly waving him into moving traffic, I offered the gloves to him.
"Do you have gloves?" I asked.
"Nope."
"WELL, do you WANT some?"
"That'd be cool."
He put them on.
I did not offer him the remains of my sandwich and I saw him eyeing it.
Next time I'll buy two.