I post without comments because I'm not a very good arguer. I tend to just cry. And then when I'm crying I forget what I was going to say because I'm trying so hard not to look like I'm crying that all I'm thinking about is crying ... and how my nose is turning red. I sometimes cry when I'm mad. Can't retort w/ a runny nose and eyes ...
Since I also fear confrontation ... OH!! I JUST HAVE ISSUES, OK?!?! So, I keep comments turned OFF, but enjoy hearing all the nice stuff you say ... and I LOVE it when you kindly disagree. Not really "disagree," per se, rather "I agree ... but ..."
Two of the comments I've received about my previous post were so thoughtful and so right-on, that I wanted to follow up as tho' that's what I MEANT to say!
1. The first was ... "LIGHTEN UP," so to speak. Those weren't her exact words, but I think I know that's what my mother meant.
Her words ... no paraphrasing ... "Our roles in their world will be to show the goodness and optimism which is still around us all. We live in a good place and in a good time. We are blessed. We will not let a few bad people take these things away from The Big One and The Short One. Won't let it happen." Spoken like a true Grandmommy. And she's right.
These last days I've tried to look for "Load Lightening" things I can do for my family -- not things that will spoil or remove accountability or responsibility -- but just ease my family into the next day ... and night. (Last nite I returned home from a brilliantly enriching performance that I'll gush about later, to find The Tall One had mopped the floors and cleaned the carpet. Lightened my load.)
So, today when The Short One grew frustrated that his pockets were too small for all his rocks, I put the rest in mine, without complaining. Lightened his load ... made my heavier, but still.
The Big One got a note in his lunch box today -- from me -- It's something I don't always take the time to do.
Some of my Load Lighteners are just common sense. Thoughtfulness. Compassion. And isn't that what we were talking about in the first place?
I left out in the previous post one other commandment for my children after "feed the dog," but before "love your mother." It's "enjoy every day, play hard and have fun." And love your mother.
2. "I am NOT cowardly and lazy," was NOT what she actually said today, but her comment was such an insightful one that I HAD to clarify a remark from my previous post.
In it, I called anyone who used the excuse for not watching the news, because "Nothing good ever happens," cowardly and lazy.
"I just wanted you to know I don't watch the news," she said today.
"But, you're one of the most informed, current, and intriguing people I know, " I thought to myself.
Key word was "watch." She's an avid reader and prefers to READ the news rather than watch it. (She also tries not to OVERstimulate before bedtime. And for this dear, intriguing friend ... OVERstimulate is an UNDERstatement! :)
I completely understand and support that. Were I not addicted to the scent of newsprint (really I'm addicted to the INK, since newsprint is just the PAPER), I would not have known this ROCKIN' GOOD SHOW was in town last nite. And I wouldn't have gotten the LAST TWO TICKETS ... ON THE FOURTH ROW!! AISLE!! Were I not addicted to all the fine print on the pages of People Magazine, I would not be able to correctly answer The Tall One when he so often asks, "Is Andy Rooney (and the like) DEAD?"
Did I NOT scan each issue of Vogue, I would NOT know of Rock and Republic, Tinsley Mortimer and Andre Leon Talley. And THAT'S IMPORTANT STUFF!!
I understand that People and Vogue are a stretch when contrasted w/ my examples in the previous post ... war and such. I'm just making a point and trying to be "light."
We talked about being able to "control" the news when it's in print versus on a screen and coming at you full-on. I appreciate and understand this. This is why I prefer to see some big-screen movies on the small-screen. The anxiety of strong images and even stronger sound make most scenes too graphic and intense. My Intriguing Friend is informed and aware and that's what matters.
Being informed and aware prepares us to discuss these issues with our children, or not. Being informed and aware prepares us to help, or at least recognize, those who around us who are dark and brooding and need our help. Being informed and aware arms us w/ knowledge (and patience) when The Big One says, "Come 'ere Mom, wanna show you what I saw on YouTube."(!) Being informed and aware requires us to watch the American Music Awards, where we'll know few of the artists, but will feel cool that we can pronounce "Fifty Cent." Being informed and aware tells us we better get VERY familiar w/ Myspace BEFORE The Ones Big and Short.
Being informed and aware is SUCH an awful lot of work!