Tuesday, September 11, 2007

That other thing I'm doing while the kids are in school? This is it.

So, The Tall One to Whom I am Married and I have long maintained that IN THE EYES OF HIS PARENTS, when I am not actively engaged in "dealing w/ children" I am likely "shopping." For some reason, when I am away from the house and his parents call, and they inquire as to my whereabouts, it usually goes something like this ...
"Where is she? Shopping??"
Since I don't have a farm to farm.
Similarly, when they call at, oh ... say ... 10:40 on a Sunday morning ... and WANT so badly for us to answer the phone ... so they can say, "WHAT? Didn't go to church?"
To which we could probably reply, "You're OBVIOUSLY HOME since you called US. Because we know you never turn your cell phone ON. Didn't YOU go to church?"
To which they would probably reply, "We already went ... at [some unGodly hour like] 5 am."
They don't make church that early.
So, tonight, my father-in-law called to ask after this weird rash that all the grandkids got from simmering in the stew that is their hot tub last weekend, and when I told him the "kids are fine ... enjoying school ... homework ... back-to-school night, blah blah ...," he replied, "Well, I guess now that they're both in school you're finally getting some sleep. You know. Sleeping late in the morning."
To which I replied, " ...," and then "...!"
"Well, you know," he continued. "You drop the kids off at school and come back home to go back to sleep."
To which I SHOULD'VE replied, "Did I tell you I went SHOPPING last week? Yes, SHOPPING. And BOUGHT SOME BOOTS and they've got REALLY POINTY TOES!!?!?!?!"

1 comment:

The Heads said...

KT,
This is too funny...I just wrote a blog about going Part time and people commenting on how 'It must be nice' and how people think I am just eating cherry bon bons and shopping now! If only life was so simple! Enjoy all your shopping!! ; )
Sarah