I'm meeting with The Short One's teacher today to check in on his progress so that when he's in third grade like his brother and brings home a big ol' chart of numbers and asks me to find the "pattern" in those numbers I'll know better than to say, "Well, it looks like a lovely quilt to me."
I thought I might not share the story above or below with any educators.
The Short One: "Mommy, do kids in school ever skip grades. You know. Skip to a different grade?"
Me: "Well, I suppose. I guess I knew some kids who did that. But, I can't imagine why, with all the cutting and stapling they probably missed out on."
TSO: "But they do skip? To different grades? Could I ever? Skip?"
Me: "Skip to where? A different grade? Where would you skip to? What grade?"
TSO: "The LAST one!"
Me: "The LAST one? But, honey. If you skipped to the LAST one, you'd miss so much. So much LEARNING."
TSO: "That's the thing about school. The LEARNING. ALL. THE. LEARNING!!"
And then he dropped his head into his hands and rolled it around in AGONY. And then he asked for ice cream. And bacon.
No comments:
Post a Comment