Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Out With the Old

Kudos to Gold's Gym for granting me a speedy, uncontested divorce today. I really expected some sort of court-ordered mediation behind closed doors w/ Raymond the Trainer who's "only working here between acting gigs" or SOMETHING. But, NOPE, they didn't even seem sorry to see me go. And I've no remorse. It had to happen. I was investing TOO much for too little. Not getting the respect I deserved. And I'm not ready to start playing the field, either. Running, cycling, swimming, stretching. I don't need a gym for that.
And in the spirit of letting go, I think my COSTCO membership might be the next to exit.
It's a FUN place, no doubt. It smells good ... and it's all shiny and stuff. But, I really believe I can shop more frugally at not-so-Big-Box stores for groceries and household items. And, what's more, I'll actually be able to LIFT them.
When I was pregnant w/ The Big One, I decided since I was having a baby I was going to need LOTS of stuff since a baby, in the mind of a first-time mom, necessitates LOTS of stuff. And I thought I might never leave the house again. So, I joined Sam's Club with a friend during some promotion at my office. I am STILL, almost nine years later, using two of the three cans of Lysol Spray I bought in my one and only outing. I would probably still be using the Clorox if I hadn't finally gotten sick of stepping over it in the laundry room and given it to my mom.
Granted, HEB and Target don't stock 36- roll packages of toilet paper, but I think when I buy "COSTCO big", I am more likely to waste than if I buy it in a respectable size. And I've no place to store 36 rolls of tp ... unless I use it for an end table. And it's tough to really budget for groceries and household items if you buy enough in bulk to last months. That many rolls of tp needs a budget of its own! Imagine ... figuring just how long WILL 36 rolls of tp last? And, "are we financially sound enough THIS MONTH to make a tp investment of this size? Do you think that's responsible?" I might begin asking myself.
"Mommy, Aunt Smooshy says when we're at the beach we can only use THISSSSS MUCHHHHH toilet paper." And then The Short One stretches out his arm, and w/ the pointy finger of his other hand traces the length of his outstretched arm from shoulder to wrist. Repeatedly. For effect.
I can't stand the CLUTTER that many rolls of tp create.
And I hate to PAY each year for the privilege of having a toilet paper clutter problem.
I hear friends speak of the outstanding meat and fish and fruits and veggies. We simply can't eat that many fresh foods before they get slimy and black. Meat, yes ... but, I know grocery stores can compete.
And with some things, I can save a ton at a grocery store by buying a store brand. ONLY with things that don't really matter, like sugar and canned tomatoes ... NOT laundry soap and dryer sheets. Or Kleenex.
The COSTCO photo department is pretty great. Cheap. And quick. And you can really customize your photo paper and size. All online. But, I'll look for another place for those special times when I have out of the ordinary photo needs.
Furthermore, their hours are screwy. I'm ready to start grocery shopping LONG before 10 a.m.
So, I think I've convinced myself. My membership is on its way out.
The dog better cling tightly to that couch and all chew toys! Mama is CLEANIN' house!!

3 comments:

Madre el said...

Costco???? Where will the industrial sized box of SNICKERS come from now???

You are one brave soul!

Madre

Anonymous said...

YEAH! That place is TORE UP from the FLOOR UP!

Bubble Girl said...

Giving up The Costco would be like giving up air and water. Or worse. IF it could get worse. If ever you find yourself in need of something...or just a nostalgic walk-through for samples of goat cheese ravioli, let me know. I'll be there for you.