Friday, June 8, 2007

This just takes the cake ...

Today the boys and I were leaving the pool and stopped by the playground for 10 MINUTES. "DO YOU HEAR MEEEE??? TEEEEENNN MINUTES!!!" A mommy in the heat for an afternoon can only take so much more ...
So, I flop upon a bench and open my large-print novel.
There's an obvious birthday party set-up behind me. Cake. Mustard. Catsup. I'm guessing there are hot dogs chilling somewhere.
An early-ish teen girl w/a CROWN on her head designating her as the birthday chica.
Her head is heavily and sullenly sunk into a cell phone. She's wearing white, Paris Hilton shades.
"Well, that's THREE that ain't comin'," she announces as she clicks her phone shut. "Jaime got SICK, or so he says," she says to her family who have gathered in the HEAT around grocery sacks and a cake.
She goes on to make more calls. Announces more comings and goings -- who's coming. Who's not.
DANGIT!! Somebody COME TO HER PARTY!!
It's every girl's worst nightmare. You throw a party and no one comes.
I'll be thinking of her all evening and hoping SOMEONE is munching on her hot dogs ...