Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wanted: A Beach Read

In a week or so, we're loading our beach gear and our beagle into a motor home and heading to the gulf coast. I don't usually get a lot of reading done at the beach because I spend most of my time wildly waving my children BACK to our beach camp from where they've washed out of the surf many yards down ... ever oblivious to the fact that that's NOT our tent, NOT our food, NOT our kiddie pool full of tortured bait fish that they're eyeing. You'd think they have a "What tha?" look on their faces when they wash up in a new location, but they don't seem to notice or care.

So, usually it's easier to just read a magazine that I can throw down on the wet sand when I jump up screaming for them to, "GET. BACK. DOWN. HERE. THOSE. ARE. NOT. OUR. HOT. DOGS!"

And who can follow a plot more difficult than, "Hot Male Babysitters" when you just KNOW you hear Jaws theme music over the din of the waves?

So, this is a first here at Cool Boots. My "comments" are turned ON ... and I need your suggestions for a 2007 Beach Read. Sweet. Simple. Thought-provoking ... sorta. A series? Essays. Your favorite reads of the season.

Before I turned to you, I turned to the venerable NYT Bestseller List. GAWD!! Death. Dying. Destruction. Terrrorism. Hatred. The Taliban. Unrequited love. A lifetime of guilt. Neglect. "Gruesome childhood accident ..."

No thank you very much. That just reeks too much of the actual goings on AT our beach camp. I need something to take me away from my actual state!

Fire away. Madre and Bubble Girl, I'm countin' on ya here ...

2 comments:

Bubble Girl said...

KT, you already know what I'm going to say. You can't go wrong with Outlander, and I've got two more converts to prove it. I really should start getting some sort of royalty or something. I've got an extra copy and I'm HAPPY, nay THRILLED to bring it on down. Also, The Painted Veil. Short, sweet (and not so sweet) and beautifully written.

The Heads said...

I have one book that I always recommend. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers...Its one of my favorites. It is a love story, and I am not sure exactly what you are looking for when it comes to a beach read but I have never had any complaints. Granted, I am not a reader but with that said this is one of the few books I have read all the way through and I didn't want to put it down. Have a great time at the beach! (and let us know what you pick) -Sarah