Friday, August 17, 2007

The Divine NM

So I visited our friendly, hometown Neiman Marcus today. And (gasp) I took the boys. They were entranced by the butterflies atop the escalators -- those fast-moving escalators that almost swept The Short One headfirst from Chloe and Tory Burch upstairs to Prada and Chanel downstairs.

And, oh, those boutique "bouncers." Those salon "guards." Those insanely coiffed ladies poised to court you if your wallet reeks of greenbacks, or send you on your way "Pretty Woman-like" ("I'm sorry, we don't we have anything FOR you ... please leave.") if your little ones are covered in Marble Slab and Airheads stick/stank. But, this IS Texas and they were smiling oh so brightly. Who ARE these ladies dressed all in black? Do they and their red lips live in this town? Do they shop at the local HEB? Wheatsville? I just don't think I've seen anything like them grown here locally.

Overheard in the shoe department where I held IN MY HAND -- my sweaty-kid-hand-holding-hand -- a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps ... oh yes ... red-soled and everything:

"Well, I might wear them for two seasons at least ..." a customer trying a pair of Manolo white and grey snakeskin boots.

You all know I'm a COOL BOOTS kinda girl, so you KNOW then I'm just the kinda girl who would glimpse "Manolo" on the tissue paper of that customer's shoe box, sliiiiide on over to the Manolo display to peeeeek at the price tag. I KNOW I cursed aloud.



Also overheard: a Short voice saying, while sucking in a nose full of NM refrigerated air, ... "Ohhhhh, Mommy, this place smells soooo WAY better than Goodwill."

He was mine.

The boots? 1495. smackers.
Not mine.

1 comment:

Bubble Girl said...

That is $295 more than my first car. More than the GDP of many a small country, I believe. Poor thing having to make them last 2 seasons. How frugal.