So, on this evening 30 years ago, I remember walking into my parents' living room, which at that time was also my living room, and the room was darkish. And the console stereo was playing "Love Me Tender" and my parents were sitting together on the couch and were apparently upset.
I'd no memory of slugging my little brother, or anyone ELSE'S little brother, that day so I quickly pushed the idea that I was about to be grounded out of my mind.
"Someone died today," my dad told me.
And it was relief I felt when he told me it was Elvis who had died and not Shaun Cassidy or Leif Garrett or Scott Baio. "Oh, thank GAWWWD!" I thought. Not my "Hardy Boy."
So, fast forward about 11 years and my BFF and I were mall shopping before heading back to our respective dorms and we headed into Baker's shoe store, which used to be called Baker-Leed's shoe store and had CHEAP shoes a la Payless not the pricey numbers I see in there today. And she bought the most God-awful ugly purse and I asked to try on something that now I can't remember because all I can remember is what I'm about to tell you.
So, it's August 16 and the radio in the store is playing an Elvis marathon and the store clerk, who was scary in a nerdy/stalky/freaky way, was singing along. He brought out my shoebox and with a flourish, he straddled the shoe-fitting stool, removed the box lid, audibly lowered his voice into a King-style growl and said, "Soooo, little lady, do you know what today is?"
I recoiled, presented my bare foot to receive my shoe, and mumbled, "Uh, somethin' 'bout Elvis, I'm gonna guess?"
"Why, it just so happens to be the anniversary of the day The King died," he replied w/ a bow of his greasy head and a hand over his heart. Swear.
Then, as he slid the new shoe onto my foot he said, "I hope you don't mind me saying you have very nice toes."
Me, my BFF, and her butt-ugly purse were outta that store faster than you could say, "Teddy Bear," and TO THIS DAY, I struggle to remember whether the King died or was born on August 16, but I never fail to think about my toes.
2 comments:
That is a great story! and BTW, I'm so glad you opened comments! Now I can blather away at will and comment to my heart's content and I won't forget to mention later how much I enjoyed your entry. I remember this day 30 years ago too. My dad stood in the yard watering the big pecan tree with his arm around my mom as she cried on his shoulder.
Hi, girls - I had just turned 9 thirty years ago and was watching something on TV. They broke into my show to say that Elvis had died, and I went upstairs to where my mom was sewing. I told her, but she didn't believe me at first. Unthinkable. The really sad thing is that Lisa Marie is 6 months older than I, so she was only 9, too. I don't recall my parents crying at that, but my dad did cry when Roy Orbison died. He sure loved both of those guys. Elvis once said that he would follow any act except Roy b/c he was so amazing. I went to Randall's after work yesterday and they were playing Elvis songs over the loudspeaker. People were dancing in the aisles! What a great legacy.
Post a Comment