Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I Wish I Knew

Rip out my heart and feed it to the beagle.
Today I made a decision that sent The Short One into orbit. A pitiful, sobbing, mournful orbit. And when the "stress" of his moment reached its peak and became too much for his Short soul to bear, in a voice breaking w/ emotion, he said ...
"I'm just a little kid. And I don't know much of anything."
This is the boy who went running w/ his dad last evening "with no shirt because it looks tougher." The boy who wonders "how [The Big One] got so much bigger than me so fast." The boy who so desperately wants to be BIG ... "I'm NOT a baby ... little kid ... Short One."
As tho' the weight of the world rested squarely on the two little shoulders in the backseat of his daddy's big truck.
I pulled to the side of the road.
"Honey, what exactly is it you need to know?"
"Well, for ONE thing ... I don't know how satellites work."
"NEITHER DO I!! And neither will your kindergarten teacher. And neither does God without a refresher course."
We went on to talk about how monster trucks are made. How trees grow.
Some answers are easy. But, the affairs of the heart and soul are BIG.