Saturday, November 24, 2007

An Obsession w/ Pumpkin and Chocolate

I've been keeping a certain patient company here for the past week, and I've missed you, my Internet Friends. I guess it's really more correct for me to say I hope you've missed ME, since I've still sought your warm company in the evenings and early mornings. That's how I know that I can't wait to be home and try this recipe since my favorite fall thing is now warm boots, anything w/ cranberries or pumpkin WITH chocolate chips. (Last year it was mulled cider and I went a little crazy on it.) This recipe sounds particularly yummy, tho' I confess I'll probably use my COSTCO pumpkin bread mix and toss in a handful of chips.
Since I've been away from laundry, unmade beds, little boy baths and dog hair during the past week, I've been acutely aware of people who work. And not those who work at the tasks above, but people who REALLY work. That's right, even tho' I end most days face first into a glass of wine w/ tired legs and a tired mind, I. DO. NOT. ALWAYS. GET. IT. To work that is.
Even when I worked eight measly hours a day, pre boys, at a desk, sitting down, in a climate-controlled office, I didn't get it or appreciate it.
Aside from the impeccably qualified and brilliant professionals I've watched over the past week, most FAR younger than me, there are a slew of workers who I can guarantee get squat in the way of recognition at work or at home.
Dang it, nurses work hard. Hard. And I can't imagine that their pay is equivalent to their value to me and my family. And scores of other families. And if I wonder why one or two don't have as ready a smile as the nurse on the shift before? They may be coming off a 12-hour night shift to head home to small children ... w/o a partner at home to lessen the load. How do they DO that? And if you work the day shift, how do you drop a child at school before 7 in the morning and not pick them up until after 7 in the evening?
What they do during their shift is saintly enough. How do they carry on?
Hospital housekeeping? Now, there's a job that I would be hard-pressed to enjoy. Much as I love a good load of laundry, bio-medical waste anyone? Didn't think so.
People selling coffee. Not Starbucks. Just coffee. Strong stuff. In a cafeteria that doesn't smell that good all the time.
And then I try to imagine their long drives home. Not everyone can afford to live on an island.
And being in the company of hopeful, prayerful families in waiting rooms and those facing dire diagnoses in hospital corridors make me rethink my patience, my faith, my gratitude. It makes me appreciate health insurance. My husband. My children. My dear friends. My "job." And pumpkin w/ chocolate chips.
Thanksgiving blessings to all of you.
I'll be back really soon. And we'll talk. And we'll talk about warm boots and mulled cider because I'm FREEZING down here on this island.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's going on? Are your Mom and VX okay?

KT said...

Yes, four bypasses later, the only thing ailing VX today is the fact that it's DANG cold on his island. Thank you for asking.

Anonymous said...

When my father-in-law had his quadruple bypass years ago, he said he felt "20 years younger." When those blood vessels opened up, he felt like Superman. I'll bet VX will feel the same, and I'm glad that you're there with him (and with your Mom)! Best wishes to you all!!
TJ