OK, YER American Idol Season 8 is set and I'm in general agreement w/ the choices. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the "werpin' men" and I can't think of their names, but the welder and the roughneck from Jasper, Texas, thank you very much! GAWD, Tatiana is still there w/ her giggling and squealing. And obscenely inappropriate clothing choices.
I went to bed with a pounding heart last night over a few things that have nothing to do w/ American Idol.
1. Two upcoming presentations -- for one I have the material, and preparation will be a snap. I'm just nervous. The other still lacks INSPIRATION. TOPIC. PREPARATION. So, I lay in bed trying to plant seeds of thought. Which made my heart pound harder. All this doing nothing for my BLOOD PRESSURE which is ANOTHER source of concern.
2. Blood pressure. I come by the "high" variety rightly. Even with the exercise and the right-ish diet it still runs "hot." Makes me mad. And I don't think Chick-Fil-A helps.
3. Big hills. Last April, in a year I wasn't riding the MS 150, Lizzie Lou and I rode this ride that took us thru 65 miles of some of the prettiest country I've ever cycled. Passed not a SINGLE broken down double-wide. Crossed so many cattle guards that we lost count. And we were chased not even once by a big dog free from its big ol' scary chain. (And that happens OFTEN.) Easily 20 miles of this ride were STRAIGHT downhill. "AEEEIIIIEEEE" downhill. And in the middle of my prayers for a safe 30 mph downhill, the realization hit me. We're gonna have to climb OUT of this hole. STRAIGHT UP AND OUT. That was a helluva canyon. At the height of wildflower season. With Harleys passing us slowly on the left ... "Betcha wish ya had a motor on that thang!" I ran completely out of gears. Completely out of steam. Completely out of balance. And tipped right over. Liz rode proudly to the top and I cussed my clips which I'd just tightened THAT DAY that prevented me from getting my tired legs out of my pedals and down on solid ground. After I struggled to WALK my bike the remaining few feet, I recalled NO hills like that on the Houston to Austin ride the previous year. NONE. And THIS YEAR, I do not wish to TIP into a cactus. HELL NO!
So, last night I lay awake worrying about cactus tipping. And too-tight pedal clips. And not enough steam and gears to get me out of that canyon. AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, I AM NOT WALKING MY BIKE ALONGSIDE A HOG THIS YEAR!! They will LAUGH at me! And I just can't have that. Plus, cacti and asphalt hurt.
So, this morning, when my thoughts are always more clear and positive, I decided to wipe the "hill" worry from my list. First, I built a Lego starship w/ The Short One. We, together, are very good at that. He, alone, is very good at that, but I like to think he needs me. Then, I saddled up and tackled a long, steep hill nearby that uses all my gears. I tackled it several times. And kicked its tail. And I thought of a couple of recent donors to my cause.
1. My first climb was for Miss Elyse. She is always among the very first to support my efforts, support my causes, support my family with her generous gift of time, and "LAWD," support my love of "fancy wine." And she makes me laugh.
2. My second climb was for REEEEEbecca. She is always among the first to support my efforts, support my causes, support my family with her generous gift of time, and inspire me with her thoughtful and healthy diet. If she ever offers you a sample of a dish ... say "YES!" She makes me laugh.
3. My third climb was for my beating heart. It needs to slow the hell down to a proper pace. To rest easy in knowing that my training and the support of my loved ones (and APPROPRIATE CLIP TENSION), WILL get me out of that canyon come April, making the jaunt from Houston to Austin two weeks later a breeeeeze.
Thanks to my beating heart. We, together are very good. And I like to think she needs me.
1 comment:
Clips! I knew those things made me nervous! They DO hang up! See? You already have asphalt in your elbow, for heaven's sake!
Anxious M'el
Post a Comment