So, The Short One was struck WAY down this weekend with a crazy, violent, messy stomach bug. We did lots of laying, reading, washing of trash cans and linens ... and playing of Guitar Hero, thanks to the biggest brother in our family. Who needs to be working, and not playing Guitar Hero, but he knows that. Right, Boot? Luv YA!
So, while playing a few of my favorite 80s songs today -- "The Warrior" by Scandal and "Hold On Loosely" by The Outfield, to name a couple ... good TIMES -- I remembered something that made me double over my cherry red guitar w/ laughter. Woo hoo-ing, guffawing laughter. And then I was crying w/ laughter at the memory. It's been a looooooong weekend indoors ... can you tell?
OK, so, one of the songs on the 80s disc is "Turning Japanese" by The Vapors. This song was popular for a few minutes in my life, but FOREVER, or at least until my mother corrected me, I thought this song was titled "Journey Japanezer."
"Honey, I don't see HOW that can be the name of that song."
"Yeah, Mom, like totally ... Journey Japanezer. Listen. That's what they're saying."
And my mom, who really liked all MY music and still does ("My Sharona," anyone?) just could NOT let me go around embarrassing myself by calling it JOURNEY JAPANEZER. So, she figured out the real title and corrected me.
Then, in high school, there was this big doofus of a football player w/ the very "bowl-iest" of hair cuts and one night, after a game, at some bonfire party in town, I SWEAR a couple of BFFs and I HEARD him sing the words to Bryan Adam's "Cuts Life a Knife," as "Kawasaki nights." To this day, that is how I "sing" that song.
There are others ... Steve Miller and Eagles songs that only rhyme to rhyme, but make not a bit of sense, but The Tall One and I sing along like we KNOW those are the lyrics.
Just what exactly do the Eagles mean when they sing about "loosening one's load?" ("Take it Easy.") Or Steve Miller's "pompitous of love." ("The Joker.") Or is that even what they're SINGING?
Do you have funny lyrics like these in YOUR past ... or present?
Make me laugh. Please. Because "pompitous" rhymes w/ "vomitus" and that's all I can think of lately.
Rock on ...
3 comments:
Since I suffer from Acute Memory Loss Syndrome I cannot begin to give details of my lyrics gaffes but there were More than Many. The part of my brain where lyrics are stored is approximately the size and texture of a hard, shriveled raisin. Therefore, my first action upon getting a CD is to look at the lyrics sheet or looking online if it's an iTunes purchase. I love that your mom totally had your back. I hope I can be that kind of mom!
MJ thought that the part of "Try A Little Tenderness" where the guy sings "you got to...you got to...try a little TENDERNESS" was actually singing in Japanese "shugatzu, shugatzu!" You should totally buy Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs. Pee-in-your-pants funny!
My friends and I spent many lunch hours sitting in Bowie's Courtyard attempting to decode what Kurt Cobain was singing, no, I mean screaming in Smells Like Teen Spirit.
At the very end of the song when he sings, 'A denial, A denial, A denial' over and over again..... We were absolutely convinced he was singing, "Bloody Night Owl, Bloody Night Owl, Bloody Night Owl...."
Post a Comment