... it's been awhile. And I do apologize. (Mom ... because I know you've been checking. Helllooooo to you, my favorite "Beach Folk.") You see, I've been keeping a list. A list of things that enter my brain during the day as blog-able, thought-provoking, and then I simply can't provoke me-self to think. So, let's start w/ a post that'll make Grandmommy smile.
Long about the time school started and our temps rose into the high, high 90s and STOPPED, I made the mistake of saying SOMETHING to The Short One about Halloween costumes. His brother barely dresses for school, much less Halloween ... a free-for-all where someone might LOOK at him, or HEAVEN FORBID, laugh! So, he's always taken the understated approach to Halloween-wear ... dressing as a "Basketball Player," a "Game Cube Junkie," a "Third Grader." This year, he'll wear a Lone Ranger mask and hand out candy. (Don't act like you know him, please.)
The Short One, tho', is all about the look. If I thought he could "criss cross applesauce" his Short legs in class wearing his new soccer shin guards and shiny cleats, I'd give in to his pleadings to wear his "soccer clothes" to school. He gets this "look thang" from me, I guess. Tho' I've never needed a winter hat and gloves to be a robber in the midst of the inferno that is our "autumn" weather. Cleats, tho', that might be cool.
So, he's asked me each day since August, "Might this be the day, Dear Mother, wherein I venture to the Halloween Store to partake of its seasonal goodies?" That'd be cool if he talked that way. His brother thinks Ron Weasley is a big ol' comedian cuz he calls his "mom," "mum." A little of that proper English vernacular might be better than the incessant eye rolls and "FIIIINE"s that I'm getting from The Big One right now.
So, LORD!!, long story short. The Short One has chosen to dress as a "High Seas Buccaneer" AKA "A PIRATE!!" Arghh!! Matey!! for Halloween. This, because the costume was his size, on sale, and not covered in the pilled-up fleece-y funk that might be better used as a SNOW SUIT instead of a Halloween disguise. I tried to talk him into bucking the status quo w/ clever dressings instead of STORE BOUGHT JUNK ...
"How 'bout you dress like Daddy and wear your suit and tie and collect candy in your briefcase?"
"Wild Game Hunter? I'll smear dirt on your face and you can carry an empty twelve-pack for your candy bucket?"
"Army man? Lifeguard? Pretty, pretty princess?"
Nope, there was no hope of constructing a costume from scraps we already had. The Short One wanted a new look.
So, he has one. And his Grandmommy will giggle over his puffy cuffs on boots AND shirt, KNICKERS, and chest-baring, leatherette "vest" w/ laces. And a tricorn hat. There you go, Grandmommy ...
There are other things on my list of "Blogging Things To Do," like to talk about some of the stressed-out kids I see roaming thru my kids' lives (even the Wall Street Journal, Sept. 30, thinks so), to remind you that "The 30 Days of Me" -- those days leading up to my Oct. 30 birthday -- have begun. And to tell you I think it's just KICK ASS that a whole buncha trapped miners walked out of a mine today. Walked OUT!
Get OUTTA town ... love me some good news on a Thursday.
1 comment:
The store-bought costume junk it where it's at over here too. We have a MILLION princess outfits and odds and ends that would make fabulous costumes. BUt no. Ariel needs the official Disney stamp and red wig. I like the pirate getup. It's so Johnny Depp!
Post a Comment