Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bittersweet, my A#!

Really, now. Meredith and Matt. REALLY! Do you honestly believe that George and Laura are feeling bittersweet about this day? This departure? I'm thinking ... and it's just a hunch ... were I Laura ... or George for that matter. WHOOP!! We're goin' home!!
And that letter? The one the outgoing president leaves for the incoming president? Purportedly in the desk drawer in the oval office? What's it say?
WHOOP!! We're going' home!!
It'll likely be much more gracious and dignified than MY prose.
I would miss the chauffeur and the chef, but the scrutiny. The fear. The power. And the powerlessness. I could easily leave that behind.
I'd made a mental list of all I could accomplish today while posted in front of the TV switching madly among networks.
1. Iron.
2. Paint my toenails orange.
3. Clean out the office closet.
4. Update the checkbook.
5. Change the blog background by surfing thru hundreds of pre-fab backgrounds and casting aside anything w/ bows or buttons. Buttons? Really?
But, thus far, I've only been able to sit and watch. And cry. Not because I'm happy or sad. Just because of the enormity of it all. And all the red, white and blue. And the absolute FEAR that there are so many people gathered in a sea of happy. (THAT'S John Cusack and Muhammad Ali. And don't you love Michelle's dress?)
I want the happy to last.
Above all. BE SAFE!! Take care of one another.
(Ted Kennedy. Wow.)

2 comments:

Madre el said...

"...the enormity..." Yes, certainly that but also the majesty of it all! We U.S.A.ans do inaugurations very well! Today proved it once again! God bless the new administration!

M.el

Bubble Girl said...

LOVED Michelle's dress and those lovely shoes. And Jill Biden's sassy red coat and black boots. And the Girls. That pink satin ribbon! It was an incredible moment.