Saturday, January 17, 2009

The party never ends.

I'm fairly certain this is not my first post with that title. But, it probably wasn't as applicable then as it is now.
The Big One hosted his first birthday sleepover last night. He's had a single friend spend the night many times. He's had two friends sleep over together once or twice. But, never six friends. And a little brother. In one night. Together.
And, here it would be nice prose to say "and he won't ever again." But, I won't. I'll just say. Simply.
I am so totally ON to you young idiots.
Because I was once a young idiot. And mama was totally on to me. And she never told me.
Boys, A SINCERE "thank you" for not leaving the house after you were "tucked in." Don't think I didn't think of that.
The puffiness of my boys' faces today tells me you DID NOT turn off your game systems when I told you to, and that's fine. Again, thank you for not sneaking out to wrap/egg/harass anyone. Does that come later? Am I giving you ideas?
It's just that I know what you're up to. At ALL hours of the night. I know all your tricks. I'm not so old I've forgotten.
Thank you for not sneaking into the kitchen to try to COOK anything. The results would've been disastrous.
I HEARD you whispering. I HEARD you plotting. I HEARD you downloading game software.
Thank you for not calling me ugly names. Or making fun of my pajamas.
Why in the HELL were you awake so early? HUH?
You know what?
You are sweet boys. You are polite. You are thoughtful. You tried to keep your belongings in neat little piles. YOU HAVE A LOT OF CHARGERS/BATTERY PACKS/MEMORY CARDS!!! And the NERF bullets!! I will be finding those for many, many days.
You made this first "adventure" an enjoyable one. I almost thought "that's too easy" when I tucked myself into bed. But, then there was that COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE hour that you awoke.
AND THE MUD! IN MY CARPET!!! ACK!!
I think you kept your clothes on.
You did not have ONE SINGLE ARGUMENT. Or TEAR.
You are SO much easier than girls.
Because I WAS one.
And I am SO on to you.
When it gets "quiet," I come looking.
When it gets "loud," I shut it down.
And when it gets "crazy," in those years, you know, when things are "crazy?" You always have a place to stay. To sleep. Or whatever.
Just sleep late. Promise?

No comments: