Friday, January 23, 2009

This is the part where I have to ask for money. Part II

MS 150 Houston to Austin 2006!! Has it really been that long?

A couple of years ago, when it was still cool to eat peanut butter Clif bars ... and LOOK AT THAT, I had longish hair ... , and back before I blogged, my husband and boys bought me a bike and matching shoes and said "Ride, Mommy, Ride." I did. From Houston to Austin. And they cheered me on. I wrote about it in a series of e-mails to my supporters ... all you friends and family who were so interested (SHOCKED!) and generous with your money and your prayers. In the last of my e-mail entries, which I'm pasting below, I indicated I might not ride from Houston to Austin again. But, like many things that are so fulfilling and FUN, and involve new shoes, I've decided to do it again. And I just might grow my hair!

One important difference THIS YEAR, in addition to a different flavor Clif Bar, is I'm riding with my good friend Lizzie Lou. She makes it hard for me to shirk my training. And she also appreciates new shoes.


It's hard to ask for money when so many causes and events are worthy of your dollars. In this case, I'm happy to be a fundraiser for an organization who knows how to get things done. Not only do they raise funds to cure such a debilitating disease, but, in my experience, they are an efficient, dedicated, informed, customer-service-oriented group of people. They put on a great ride w/ lots of ice and clean Porta Potties, and I've completely enjoyed my interaction with them.

You can donate to my 2009 ride to cure MS here.

(Or I also take cash and spare change.)

You can read about my 2006 experience below.

April 2006

After leaving Houston in the MS 150 a little before 7 a.m. on Saturday, spending the nite in La Grange, and putting 154 miles on my bike over the weekend., I was proud to escort 12,999 other cyclists into my hometown on Sunday afternoon -- right up Manor Road past a couple of my favorite restaurants, under IH-35 and thru the UT campus, past my old office building and toward the state capitol.
I say "escort" like I was in front of the pack -- I wasn't. But, I was far, far from last and, somehow, I crossed the finish line all by myself -- as tho' the organizers and all the Spandex-clad, bright-jersey-ed teams around me knew that my family -- juggling kids, cameras, coolers and congratulatory signs -- needed that advantage finding me in the crowd.
Let me start by answering the question I've been asked the most since I've been home. And it's not the answer to "Does your backside hurt?"
It's,"Will you do it again next year?"
I will again lend my support to the MS Society in whatever way they can use me. I might hand out water bottles and bananas like so many smiling volunteers did all thru the ride. And I will consider endurance rides closer to home. But in an event spanning so many hours, where so very many things could've gone wrong and didn't, there's no way I can top the feelings of accomplishment, pride and strength I feel after completing this ride. So, if my "cycling angels" can guarantee the following things WON'T change, heck yeah, I'll do it again.

1. The weather -- It was perfect. A tailwind; warm, but not hot, temps; and even some overcast skies. I heard ride veterans tell stories of rainy, windy, cold and HOT rides in past years.

2. The scenery -- Not many wildflowers, but a bagpiper in full traditional dress piping along the roadside outside La Grange; landowners on tractors and trailers waving us along; overall-wearing folks playing all sorts of instruments at all times of day w/ all breeds of panting dogs; the townspeople of Fayetteville, the most spirited I've ever seen. They must secretly hate the disruption to their town since no traffic can come or go all day while thousands of us pass thru, but you'd never know it. They are the smiling-est, waving-est, big hat wearing-est, flag flying-est group of people you've ever seen. Families w/ babies and picnic blankets set up in the highway right-of-way just to watch us pass. Rest areas and lunch stations manned by Lions clubs, drill teams, MS survivors, church congregations, big ol' corporations -- all among the nicest and most appreciative people (handing out the coldest water) I've ever met.



3. My cycling equipment -- I wasn't forced to change a flat tire (one of my biggest fears.) My chain didn't come off, and my gears worked. I ran OUT of gears a couple of times as we neared Austin, but I don't think that's something I can buy more of at Jack and Adam's (my favorite Austin bike store.) That's just the fault of Hill Country terrain.

4. My "personal" equipment -- I wasn't injured. I didn't injure anyone else. I didn't WITNESS anyone injuring themselves. And remarkably ... after some initial stiffness during the first 50 miles, I felt good (really!) for the remainder of the ride. By the end, I was ready to get off my bike and stretch my legs a little, but nothing ached too terribly bad.

5. My training paid off -- I was able to ride the course just as I'd dreamed. Safe and easy down hills (and there were some doozies); and strong and steady going up (again ... DOOZIES!). In fact, during some particularly challenging uphill climbs, I thought to myself, "HOW am I doing this?" I don't consider myself an athlete, but I've never felt stronger than I did passing people going UPHILL. (Reminder to self: a heckuva lot of people passed you too, smarty pants!)
I completed the first 82 miles in right at six hours, with rest stops for water and, yes, Power Bars. (Peanut Butter Crunch -- my new favorite.) The second day's 74 miles or so, took about seven hours. We all tended to be a bit slower that day. Several times the pack slowed to a stop, especially on hills and at intersections. Coming into Austin, there were stops for pesky things like traffic signals!

6. Friends along the way -- Team BTX Air Express from the Woodlands, near Houston -- a team of varying ages and abilities. Two of their members, Jeff and Phil, adopted me at the top of a hill outside Fayetteville, led me thru the "Challenge Course" that included the steep hills and twisty roads of Buescher State Park in Bastrop, and invited me to ride w/ them next year. Let me note here, that one of their members -- in his 60s -- is the former national champion TRICK water skier. Another member, probably in his 50s, is an avid skier and wake boarder. They taught me to ride in a "pace line." And that's the very coolest thing to see. A straight line many riders long, all in matching attire and cadence, roaring past "on your left." One misstep in a line -- i.e. hitting the brakes, can be disastrous, so I generally stayed out of those folks' way, but I thought it sweet and encouraging that they thought I could do it. If any of you ever need things "really big and heavy" shipped to places near or far, please call on my friends at BTX Air Express -- offices in Houston, Dallas, and elsewhere ...



7. Friends at home -- I could get used to this "rock star status" that my friends and family have spoiled me with for just a little while. Will, Jack, Thomas, and my parents (who came all the way from Galveston) greeted me at the finish line w/ a big sign held aloft w/ poles, "Way to go, Mommy," and outfitted w/ red and blue balloons. As I headed across the finish line, other extended family and friends, even w/ small children in tow, shouted out "Hey, Katy, over here," snapped pictures and met me w/ congratulations. I had messages waiting at home wondering if, and when, I'd made it home. THEN, some beautiful flowers and bottles of wine arrived ... OK, I just might ride again ... :)


8. A healthy, happy family waiting for me at home -- I gave a wide berth to the talented Team Texas Children's (Hospital in Houston). I met several of their members and told them I had a special little friend under their care and they better ride home quickly and safely! There were so many young people who made me think of Will and Jack -- 10-12 yr old boys on bikes of their own, or younger boys and girls on tandem bikes behind their parents -- working so hard out there on the course. And they stayed right up w/ packs of adults. That was sweet to see, and I'm so, so grateful that each member of my family was able to stand in the hot sun w/ strong bodies to greet me.
I'm thankful my body stayed strong and I was able to ride in honor and memory of those who can't.
There were days before the race that I didn't want to train. (Thomas had to push me out the door.) There were days Will and Jack would rather I'd been home w/ them. The travel and logistics of the race weekend were exhausting. I think we were all a little relieved that this big event was over. But, w/o my family's unwavering support and significant commitment during training AND throughout the race weekend, I couldn't have done this and wouldn't have wanted to.

9. First Class Accommodations -- My special friend in Houston hosted us on Friday nite and fed us the most delicious fettucine I've ever tasted. More friends fed us spaghetti and meatballs on Sat. nite. And at the mid-point in La Grange, when most teams of cyclists are bunking in huge tents w/ sleeping bags AND waiting in long lines for portable showers (!), Thomas and I were treated royally at "Chateau Bohuslav" (Sweet Ben and Lou Bohuslav) in La Grange. Even our DOG, had deluxe accommodations while we were away, w/ neighborhood friends who treat her WAY better than we do!

10. Donations -- Thanks to you generous, thoughtful folks, I'm proud to report to the MS Society that we've raised TRIPLE the amount required of each rider. You've all taught me to be more generous w/ my gifts and blessings. And tho' it may seem this effort has been all about "New Shoes" and Power Bars and pace lines and ME, the money we've raised to ease the lives of those affected by MS is our biggest and proudest achievement. We can be very proud of our hard work. Thank you.

I now turn my attention and training to the Danskin triathlon in mid-June. I'll swim, bike and run. Do swimmers get "New Shoes?"

1 comment:

Madre el said...

"pwoud" we say!

M.el & vxr