Friday, May 11, 2007

I feel his pain ... for once

I'm sure that as my boys grow, so too will the number of things on which we disagree.
At their ages, I can still force them into "agreement."
But, one thing The Big One and I agree upon WHOLEHEARTEDLY is PAJAMA DAY at school. I don't like it and neither does he.
The idea does conjure visions of slumber parties and giggling. And lots of giggling. And girls like that.
And it does give the classroom a relaxed "it's the end of the year and we ain't doin' NUTHIN today'" feel. And boys like that.
But, it's kinda creepy. Those are BED clothes for goodness sake. You're NAKED under there. As opposed, of course, to being fully clothed BENEATH one's clothes.
It's just rather intimate -- even in second grade. And vulnerable-feeling and -looking.
It leaves the kid in the black high-tops and clingy, yellow Spongebob pajama bottoms LOOKING for back-up from elder-graders on the school playground.
And picture THAT ensemble walking thru the lunch line.
Reminds me of ladies who put a scarf atop their pink curlers to go into the grocery store. Aren't they rolling their hair to look NICE in public. As in, "I'm rolling my hair, so when I go to the grocery store, I'm 'fixed'."
Why go OUT in the very hardware being used to make us look PRESENTABLE that when left IN the hair make us look very UNPRESENTABLE.
And when only one or two classes are clad in PJs, doesn't it make the PE coach wonder, "Dude, where's your pants?"
Seems silly ... to stay in one's PJs all day ... when there's no coffee.