Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Sad Fact

Today, while our kids were jumping and zip-lining and hurling balls at one another ... at a birthday party, some friends and I stood chatting about news, or people, or something, and I can't remember how, but OJ Simpson jumped into the conversation and HERE'S A FACT ...
Among those of us standing together, shoveling chocolate cake into our mommy mouths, we were able to construct the OJ Simpson Murder Mystery Timeline:
"For some reason, there was something on the news recently," she said. "Maybe because it was the anniversary of her death or the verdict ..."
"WAIT! WAIT!" I jumped in. "It's May ... OK ... the verdict was in ... (and I calculated when I pulled my car over in the West Texas town of Hamlin to listen to the verdict ... and I knew it was May because I had just moved to W. Texas. And I pulled over in the First National Bank of Hamlin. And I kinda got goose bumps when Ito or whomever read the verdict. And they kinda garbled their words. And I don't remember feeling one way or another.) So, it must be the anniversary of the VERDICT."
"Well," she said. "The Bronco chase was in June, because we were at a family reunion ..."
"Yeah," another "she" added. "We were on vacation and watched it ..."
"So were WE. At a family reunion. Watched it," I said.
We went on to say where we were when the news of the crime spread. The chase. The trial. The verdict. Heck. I remember where I was when I read Marcia Clark's book. Saratoga Springs, New York. No children. A pool. A gin and tonic.
A senseless waste of life. A senseless waste of time. A senseless waste of memory.