Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 10. Thru the fog.

I've been standing in starting waves at triathlons, bike races, foot races ... and fellow racers have leaned over ... to me ... as if to share a little secret.
"Pssst. You forgot to take your necklace off."
"You're still wearing your jewelry."
"Oooh, I hope you don't lose your beads."
I've dived into pools, murky lakes, white water, still water, open water.
I've sweated, suncreened, bug sprayed.
Ever since I first became a Superhero, first with Tropical. Then with Earth. And now with Joy, others have noticed. At the very least, if I tip into a ditch on my bike, you will know me from my beads.
They define me.
I first fell for the idea. "Be your own Superhero. Your own biggest fan."
Then, I fell for the one-of-a-kindness of them.
They've been imitated but the imitations have never been perfected.
There was a short while there that Superhero Mama stopped making them. And I wrote to beg for another one. Just one mooooore.
And she obliged.
I like to think it was because of me. And how I told her, "They define me." That the sheer poetry of that idea would jog her right out of her bead-making sabbatical for ME.
Let's just go with that idea, afterall.
Even if it's not completely true.
Now she's on maternity leave. I may or may not achieve Superhero status again.
But, if I do, I want Pyrex.
Or Grass and Sky.
I will continue to swim in murky waters.
Superhero has never let me down.

No comments: