Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 14. Princess

Well, hell. Anybody got a spare princess bed on 'em? Today was such a good day until it wasn't. A fast-efficient meeting first thing. No traffic. Good talk. Swift decision-making.
Yummy Chinese leftovers for lunch and the best book that I don't want to finish. "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt." It's "The Help," only shorter and sweeter, if that's even possible.
I love books that describe food and clothes. This one does both deliciously.

###

I'm not much of a garage sale kinda gal because I want things OUT of my house. I'm a purger and a sorter and a cleaner, so I'm not much for acquiring more things that others are casting off. BUT, if I can put someone else's castoffs to work for someone else, FANtastic. And even better, if I can put those things to work for someone else by helping ANOTHER someone clean out ... HOORAY. In fact, it's almost MORE the act of helping someone clear a space that does my heart greater good. And if it goes on to make a home for someone in need ... then we are ROCKIN' along.

I have all the makings of a princess bed in my garage, except for the bed. Oh, I HAD the bed. Packed and tied neatly into the back of my truck alongside mattresses and box springs and dressers and mirrors and decor and pillows. I am a MASTER packer. But, something happened between there and here and the princess bed ... in all its pink glory ... set sail. And splat. There was nothing to recover. Blessedly, no one and nothing was injured ... not even close. And I'm deeply grateful for that, DEEPLY, and I WON'T stop loading and hauling.

Even tho' the death of the princess bed has felt like such a death all afternoon. This thing that belonged to some one's child and was given in such trust and generosity ... splat. Ruined my whole afternoon.

Because this homemaking with princess beds from one person and lamps from another and lamp shades from yet another, it's one of the best things I do. Making order for someone else so that they can make order for themselves.

And now we have to do it w/o a princess bed.

And that makes me want to cry.

No comments: