Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 15. Chances.

When my parents left me at college for the first time that hot Sunday afternoon in August, Mama said to me, "We can do this [college thang] one time. Get it right the first time."
She had a bit more love in her voice than these words look on the page, but that's what I heard. And that's what I did. Not perfectly. But, I was scared to death not to. Not because of Mama, (Well, maybe a little cuz of Mama. ;), but because of the idea of wasted time and wasted dollars.
We'll be making a trip to Aggieland for a football game, and with that visit comes memories of my college days and time well-spent.
JUST this morning I was explaining to The Big One how I learned to study. How it wasn't in middle school. Or high school. Or even my first two years in college. It was wedged between a history class and a geography class during my junior year on a day when the bus wasn't running to take me to my dorm for my customary nap. I was forced into the student center for a Dr. Pepper and a chocolate chip muffin and, with nothing better to do, I opened my assigned English lit novel. And I did "homework" outside of the "home." May sound crazy that I'd never thought of it before, but that was the birth of the "multi-task" for me. Even tho the tasks were only to consume muffin, drink Dr. Pepper, read book ... I was doing it OUTSIDE of the place where I usually did homework (my dorm room) and I was reading a text that was NOT for the class coming up or the one I'd left behind. I was working "ahead." Mama always suggested that, I think, but this time it was MY idea.
I remember that precise moment often when I work ahead on a volunteer project. Or make phone calls while waiting in the school pick-up line. I up-ended my usual sense of order just a bit by taking tasks OUT of order, and with it came a sense of completion and and success.
Studying for tests became more efficient and successful when I wasn't forcing sleepy eyes to a page while lounging on my bed.
Taking on projects in bits and pieces produced a more complete final product.
The Big One may not get this for awhile.
The Short One may be incapable.
I don't always do this well.
Sometimes there are too many bits of "task" in my "multi."
Sometimes it gets messy.
And that's usually where a Dr. Pepper comes to the rescue.
Gig 'em. ;)

1 comment:

Madre el said...

Yep.
I remember saying those words.
I remember you doing exactly that.
Never acted as tho "it was heavy!"
:)