Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jacques?? Who knew?

Here is an update about our missing Crystal Beach neighbor who I've posted about a couple of times. (Glennis is her name and her paragraph begins about 10 'graphs in. My Houston people tell me the story accompanied a front page, 6-column, above the fold, color photo of her slab which has been adorned with ceremonial flowers, religious statue, US flag, lawn chair. But, no Coor's Light. Or Jack. She'd hate that.)
I regret that I thought all these years her fat, short-legged black dog was named JOCK. The name fit him perfectly since he was, in fact, reminiscent of an overweight, middle-aged, former high-school football star whiling away his retirement years at the beach. There was the way she'd growl his name, "JJJJJzzzzohhhhhckkkkkk," (always pronouncing the "J" sound) when it was time to retire to the cabin atop the stairs. His collar jingling ever so ... slowly ... along ...
Middle-aged. Overweight. Willingly submissive. Tired. Jock.
He was in truth JACQUES ... the oh-so-proper manor dog. Lord of the Castle.
And that changes everything.
RIP.

No comments: