Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 11.

*Edited this afternoon to add ...
Today Oprah featured two sweet lifelong lady friends. Kinda like us. THEN, at the end of the show the ladies went wild jumping and screaming and "Oh my GOD-ING!!" when Rick Springfield surprised them on the stage. Granted, Rick is looking a little scary these days, but I betcha if Bryan Adams or George Strait were to surprise US on Oprah, there'd be some ugly crying! Ugly, HAPPY crying!!


Text Exchange
Friday, October 16th


"I'm watching Sixteen Candles. Best quote?"
"'Oh, Sam let me look at you. Fred, she's gotten her boobies.'"
"Also good ... 'Thanks for getting my undies back.'"

Text Exchange
Saturday, October 17

"Watching St. Elmo's Fire ... gimme ur best quote."
"'I could be a bag lady. 'course I'd have alligator bags.'"
"'You go ahead w/ your evening w/ Howard. No matter what he looks like.'"

Doesn't matter who's speaking which text line. Or even the year. Could be 1988. Could be last week. Could be that we go 10 months without texting or calling and then it's a race to unload the best quote. Best memory. Best Randy Travis song.

I'm grateful for that familiar friendship. It's always there. Standing right behind a text alert or a ringing phone.

I'm grateful for friends whom I can kick under a table and they don't scream "ow!" Can mutter "don't look now" in a crowd. And they don't.
They remember that I hate cilantro.
I know they prefer sweet tea.
They remind me to order my chicken enchilada soup w/o the grated cheese garnish.
It goes beyond food.
There's a sense.
A comfortable familiarity.
They push me to succeed.
But they let me give up and give in.
They share my past.
They complete my present.

They say you can count on one hand friends like that.

In "Gras-ti-tude" for handfuls of friends. I'm deeply proud and grateful.

No comments: